Sunday, February 6, 2011

More wood fun

My original plan was to use a pair of dual plastic binding posts for speaker connections.  I drilled appropriate holes in the panel for them, then decided that I'd rather use nicer (single) gold posts.  All the ones I found online required smaller diameter holes than the ones that I already drilled.  They also all seem to have cheesy plastic isolation washers.  To replace those and make up for the large holes in my panel, I decided to make my own insulation blocks out of scrap Ipe.  A simple block would float on the panel surface, so I needed a block with built in shoulder washers. Perfect job for a milling machine...

I started with blocks about 7mm thick and milled off about 2mm of thickness except where I needed the 2 donut shaped shoulders.  The workpiece is mounted in a vice and moved under the milling bit using X/Y screwdrive knobs.  Milling a circular pattern with X/Y knobs reminds me of drawing circles on an Etch-a-sketch.  I guess it's good for the hemispheres of my brain to work together once in a while ;-)

I finished the day by doing the final chassis sanding.  First, I used a pad sander with 100 grit on all surfaces.  Some joints also needed some leveling with a hand block to match their connecting piece.  I then rounded all corners with a long strip of glue backed 100 and 150 grit stuck to a work board.
I finished all surfaces with 220 grit.  Finally, I can clean up all that nasty to breathe Ipe dust.  Love the wood, hate the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment