Monday, December 20, 2010

Woodworking can test my tolerance

I spent 3+ hours obsessing yesterday over mere hundredths of an inch.  My dovetailing jig is cool, but when few hundredth's of an inch make a significant difference in the tightness of a joint, I think Rockler could have done a better job of making their jig more precise.


The general idea is that once you have the jig set up for a given width and thickness of blank, you should be able to clamp a new set of blanks in, route away and Bingo... perfect joint.  One problem is that the fence that sets the depth of the cut is attached to the upper clamp, but the clamp has a substantial amount of play.  So the fence can shift up to about 0.05" between clampings.  It took me a while to figure out that even though two passes had identical adjustments, things were shifting around every time I reclamped.  Ok, so I'll remeasure and readjust the fence depth every time.

The next problem is alignment/squaring of the blanks.  The main magic of a dovetailing jig like this is that you route both blanks at the same time.  There's a little alignment stop which is supposed to keep the two blanks aligned relative to each other and the jig.  My first beef is that it is free to float way out of square to the jig.  Ok, I'll square it each time I adjust it (3 screws).  But wait, it's made of fricken no-so-hard plastic and it flexes!  The upper part of the stop has 2 screws so squaring it pretty much keeps the upper blank square.  The lower portion has only one screw.  Trying to square it is like trying to benchpress with one arm.  Without a second tie point the stop rotates around the single screw and flexes based on the position of the upper.  That would be just fine if it was metal which doesn't flex, but as is, the lower blank is almost never square if you simply rely on the stop to keep it square.  In the end what should take about 1 minute of set up per joint takes about 10 and still may result in a bad (loose, tight or misaligned) joint.

To make up for looseness of tightness, the height of the router bit can be adjusted.  I found that the difference between loose and tight could be as little as 0.015".  You girls take note.  Yeah right, like any girls would read this blog.

Anyway, enough bitchin'.  After about 16 test joints and wasting about 10+ inches of length of my good blanks, I made the final cuts and I'm pretty satisfied with results.  It holds together without glue and only one of the 4 joints needs some filing to get the pins and tails to align.

The next step is to saw a kerf (slot) just below the top of the frame for sliding in the aluminum panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment