Saturday, November 20, 2010

Time to start planning the final build

With most of my design work complete and measurement and listening tests of my prototype showing nice results, it's time to start planning the final build.  That means final part selection, wood frame prototyping and layout planning.  I've made probably 15 orders in the last 6 months from 6 different US vendors, 1 Chinese, and the rest on Ebay.  Lots of part swapping means my parts bins are brimming with parts to be used on future prototypes and projects.  My current prototype uses all of the components of my most resent design revision except for the power switch, jacks, etc. and it still uses carbon resistors which will be swapped with metal film.

For the wood frame, I've decided to use some Ipe (aka Brazilian Walnut or Iron Wood) boards which my coworker had left over from his very nice deck (Thanks Jeff!).  It's super dense, fairly unforgiving to work and it creates a nasty dust which I shouldn't have been breathing, but it's fricken beautiful wood.  The boards were roughly 6" wide by 3/4" thick.  I had a 2.5' board and a 1.5' board.  I ripped them (roughly) in half and had 4 2.5" strips.  Perfect!  I even justified a new carbide tipped ripping blade which did an amazing clean cut.

I wanted to finally try my hand at some nice half blind dove tail joints.  I've had a jig to do those for years.  I spent a many hours one weekend learning how to set it up and use it.  There's about a dozen adjustments and it's imprecise enough that the only way to really get a tight joint is by iterative trial an error.  Keeping everything aligned and square is the key.  Also logging measurements for each trial.  I had some hemlock blanks which had very similar dimensions to my new Ipe blanks.  I used those to hone my dovetailing skills and made a few small frames.  Here's a "half size" frame about 7" x 5" with a kerf (slot) for the aluminum top panel to slide into:

No comments:

Post a Comment